Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Christmas Dress



I found this picture and I love this dress. I love the yoke and gathered bust. I love the cream accents. I sort of love the green – it’s a little dull, but I like the antiqueness of it. I love the cap sleeves and the little bow at the collar. I love the shape of the collar and the piping at the bust.

I want to make this dress.

I don’t think it will be too hard to come up with a pattern for it – I don’t know what the back looks like, but I could guess. I learned a lot about dressmaking for Sound of Music and I think I can take some patterns I already have and adjust them to be what I need. One tricky thing for me would be the pockets – because the SOM dresses didn’t have to be practical I always left out the pockets.

The biggest problem is time. I have so many projects that I want to do and so many that I’ve started that it’s illogical at this time to plan another one. That’s not to say it will never happen, I just think that I’d have to finish 2-3 of the quilts I’m working on and at least one purse I have planned before I could justify a new project. Plus I don’t have a real need for this dress. Yes it’s cute but I don’t know when I’d wear it.

My crafting time is limited since I have a full time job and a social life, so it’s hard to do everything I want to. I think I’d like to learn to knit, but I hardly have time for the crafts I know how to do, so when will I have time to take on a new one. Ack!

I have a whole lot of ideas for future projects. I’ll just have to file this one away for later…

1 comment:

  1. You could leave out the pockets. They're cute, but to go all Stacy and Clinton about it: they would probably add to the hip area, so if you don't want that then leave them out. It is darling, though. Maybe too predictable, but it would be cute in red. Or purple.

    ReplyDelete