Friday, September 3, 2010

Spongebob Squarepants Costume

In college I majored in physics and I minored in theater. Strange I know. Neither my physics professors nor my theater professors really got it, but I think the two compliment each other marvelously. Well, my theater minor included mostly costume classes: Costume History, Costume Construction, Clothing and Culture, and Costume Design.

I took Costume Design my senior year and during the fall quarter we had an assignment for Halloween to make a 3 dimensional costume that concealed our identity. At the time I was watching a lot of cartoons on cable because we never had cable when I was growing up. I watched Sailor Moon, Tenshi's Universe, Dragonball Z, and Spongebob Squarepants. So I decided to make a Spongebob costume.

I had a large box from a blanket I'd ordered online and it fit over me pretty well. I cut out arm holes and eye holes and painted. I created a 3-D nose out of yellow vinyl (my mother works at a sign shop and often gives us the leftover scraps of vinyl that they cut letters and images out of).

I paired the box with a white t-shirt and my khaki shorts and black shoes with white socks:



The costume was a little cumbersome to wear, and my costume class was at 8:30 in the morning so it was a little chilly to be walking around in shorts.

2 comments:

  1. Ah. . .Tenshi's and Spongebob and Sailor Moon. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very much like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

    ReplyDelete