Monday, March 9, 2009

Curtain Costumes

Some of the most important costumes in “The Sound of Music” are only worn on stage for about a minute – the infamous Curtain Costumes. Not only do the children have to look adorable in them, but they are an important plot point as well.

In the story, as you may recall, the Children – “little marching machines” – are somewhat ignored by their father, a former sea captain, who treats them like sailors on a ship rather than beloved offspring. Maria comes along and teaches the children how to be children and how to sing – the latter being what breaks their father out of his widowhood induced funk and brings the family together again.

The changing point for the captain comes when he returns home a month after Maria arrives to find his children romping about the estate dressed in play clothes made from old curtains. The clothes are made from curtains because he wouldn’t give Maria material to make them clothes, so like a true “make it work” crafter, she used what was available – the old curtains from her bedroom.

The curtain costumes spark a conflict between the Captain and Maria that helps the captain to realize what has happened to his family, and to start falling in love with Maria. So, even though they are seen on stage for only a brief moment, they are vital to the play.

Since the prospects of renting costumes for our production of “The Sound of Music” were rather slim, I decided that these would be built for the show. Originally the lady who was going to assist me was going to make them, but things didn’t work out, so I took on the task.

In an earlier post I mentioned the challenges I had finding fabric on the island, so I ended up ordering some online (from 2 different vendors because Fabric.com only had 11 yards)- Benartex Splendid Holiday Alpine Holiday Pine (Christmas fabric, but it works great). I love this fabric.



I used a variety of dress patterns (one old (1950’s), 2 new, and one I made myself) and copied the Lederhosen I had purchased on eBay for the boys. They are adorable costumes, if I do say so myself.




This picture was in the Maui News article about the show. You can’t really see all of them, but you get an idea of how the fabric worked out (the children were singing when the photo was taken – hence the odd expressions on their faces). I’ll post better ones if I ever get any.

1 comment:

  1. I love your costumes & wondered if u would consider renting to me
    Jackiecampisi@me.com

    ReplyDelete