Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Ass Piñata

As you may recall, a couple years ago I made a Boob Piñata for my sister's bachelorette party. Well a couple of my good friends are getting married next week and they had their bachelor and bachelorette parties last weekend. He's kind of an ass-guy so she asked me to make an ass piñata for his party.

Ideally we were gonna get a fake arm or something to hit it with because that is just hilarious.

Here's the finished product:


That's a real thong.

Unfortunately, since this was my second piñata I thought I was hot shit and decided I knew better than the instructable and tried to change things up. Boy was I wrong.

Everything worked out ok in the end, but there were a few issues. So here's some tips and some things not to do when making a piñata.

First off here's the base of the piñata:


It's a lot more tape and paper than the last one. That caused some issues later in the process so I'd suggest always trying for more balloons and less tape. Because of the final shape of the piñata I'm not sure how I would have made that work, but just keep that in mind.

I live in Hawaii where it can be pretty humid and I've now learned that I definitely need help from a fan when drying papier-mâché. When I opened up the piñata it was still slightly wet inside even though it was dry on the outside.

One other problem that I didn't figure out until my last layer was that my starch had settled so most of my layers were more watery than starchy. Which explains why it wasn't hardening like it should have. So, make sure you shake the liquid starch well before using it.

Another small issue was that the string I had was too thin. It definitely didn't seem like it would last too long so I told them not to hang it up for long.

This biggest issue that I had was totally my fault. I jumped the gun on opening it up and stuffing it. I was thinking by opening it before the final couple layers I'd be able to secure the closer so much better. What I didn't think through was that then it would be soaking wet and heavy while drying the last layers.

Because of the added weight it toppled and landed in such a way that the ass cheeks became indented. I woke up to this the morning of the party and had a slight meltdown. I had to cut it open and pop out the cheeks. Then cover up the creases and reseal up the opening.

All in all it turned out ok. It looked great but it was easier than it should have been to open up.

So lesson learned...follow the damn instructions.

1 comment: