Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tennis Skirts

A couple posts ago I talked about Sewing with Knits and some tennis skirts I'm making for my mother's tennis team. In this post I'll go over how those skirts are actually made.

To make the patterns for the skirts most of the ladies gave me a skirt that they liked and I extrapolated the necessary measurements from the skirts. But they all follow similar ratios that can be used to make a simple tennis skirt for most women. All you need is a waist measurement (or measurement for where you'd like the skirt to sit) and a desired length.

Materials needed are:

1/2 yard of 60" spandex or lycra (swimsuit fabric)
1 yard of 3/4" elastic
Twin Stretch Needle

The length of elastic needed is the waist measurement + 1" for overlap.

The rest of the skirt will be two trapezoidal panels. The top of each panel will be half the waist measurement + 2" for stretch + 1" for seam allowance. The side lengths I've worked with range from about 13" to 17" depending on where the skirt is worn (waist vs hips) and how long (or short) you want the skirt to be. You'll need to add 3/4" for the waist band and 5/8" for the hem. The bottom of each panel can range from 5" to 9" more than the width of top the panel.

Below is a diagram with the measurements for the panels for a med sized tennis skirt (29" waist):



Cut 2 panels from the fabric.

With right sides together sew up the sides (angled sides) using either a serger or a zig-zag stitch. Overlapping the ends by 1" sew the elastic into a band. Pin the elastic to the wrong side of the fabric with top edges even and distribute fullness (I like to half, then quarter each and mark with pins). Serge the top edge stretching the elastic to fit the waist of the skirt.



The waistband should look like this once the elastic is attached:



To finish the waistband, fold the elastic under, pin in place and sew from the right side of the skirt using a twin stretch needle stretching the elastic to even out the skirt fabric. You can use the elastic as a guide since you can't see the edge that's being hemmed. Since it's a 3/4" elastic I like to line up the top edge of the skirt with the 5/8" line on my sewing machine face plate to account for the needle offset.



The bottom of the skirt is hemmed the same way, except that you don't have the handy guide of elastic so you need to mark where to fold to get a 5/8" hem. Pin the hem and then sew from the right side of the skirt using the twin stretch needle (for the 5/8" hem I align the edge of the skirt with the 1/2" line on the face plate.

Ta da! Tennis skirt (or bathing suit skirt).

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for these simple directions. I am not an experienced seamstress, but this may be something I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me where you got that great fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else bought the fabric, so I'm sorry but I don't know where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! Hugs from Romania!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a pattern for tennis skorts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I do not have a pattern for tennis skorts. Though, if you can't find one, you could always just take a pattern for shorts and add a panel to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand the 'elastic' part........

    ReplyDelete
  8. The elastic band is sewn together at the ends to make a loop before sewing it to the rest of the skirt. The elastic loop will be smaller than the skirt waist so you'll have to stretch it as you sew it on. This will give you ease to stretch it when you put the skirt on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the skirt, but I need side pockets. Do you have any tips or patterns for adding side pockets? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete