Thursday, October 7, 2010

Zombie Dress Part 1

For my third year of Thriller at the Historic Iao Theater's Annual Haunted Theater Experience I've decided to forgo the Zombie Ballerina costume and make something new. I decided to go period rather than professional this time and I bought this vintage 1955 Simplicity dress pattern:



I had to add about 2" to the pattern because the pattern was too small, and I didn't bother with the pockets because I won't need them. Here's the finished dress:



I may get a petticoat to fluff the skirt out.  The next step will be to destroy and zombify the dress. I'll post another entry about what I end up doing, but right now I'm thinking I'll bleach it a little to fade the color, then distress the fabric (my weapon of choice for this is usually my apple corer), and finally dye it. I'll probably tea-dye it then dirty up the edges with a black or gray dye. I'm thinking I'll also zombify a pair of nylons so that I don't have to put makeup on my legs.

We are also doing another Zombie themed dance that is more tribal/earthy so I'll have to figure out what to do for that.

Stay tuned for more...



2 comments:

  1. I vote "yes" to the petticoat. I'm trying to take some cues from you and get my craft on. Work has been insanely busy, but I ordered my sewing machine this week! I may be bugging you with all sorts of inane questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, sewing machine! That's exciting.

    ReplyDelete