Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cherry Pinot Noir Waffle Syrup

It's Waffle Week. Yay!

This year I celebrated with a small waffle party with friends. I made a bunch of waffles and had people bring in toppings. I also decided to make a Cherry Pinot Noir Waffle Syrup from a recipe I found at MrBreakfast.com.



I used Pinot Evil Pinot Noir because it's got an awesome name, and I love their Pinot Grigot version.



I trippled the recipe because I wouldn't have used the extra cherries or Pinot Noir. I also was unable to find the star anise or it's substitute, anise seeds, on Maui, so I left it out.



I ended up simmering the batch a lot longer than the recipe called for. While this was probably necessary, I definitely simmered it for longer than I should have because it thickens a lot as it cools. Mine ended up more the consistancy of jam than syrup, but it was rather tasty, especially with the Cranberry Orange Waffles.


2 comments:

  1. what recipe do you use for your waffles? I have two irons one square and one round and haven't used them nearly enough.

    Sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a bunch and actually settled on the one in the manual for my waffle iron. I was really hoping to get a beer waffle recipe that would work but none of them were that great.

    The one I settled on is a little weird because they have you make a base first that you don't necessarily use all of. But I've found that if I halve the recipe it's perfect for one waffle which is really all I need.

    ReplyDelete