Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Get Ready, get set - Start Blogging

Where to start?

Hard to say. I was inspired today to start my own blog after searching for a quilting blog. All the ones that I found seemed to miss the mark of what I was looking for, and I think that my age is partly to blame. I'm in my late twenties and single and I've found that many of my personal interests differ greatly from the average quilter.

So, I figure there's a gap to fill - it'll kind of be like stitch-n-bitch, but more for quilting and general crafting rather than knitting (which I've never really gotten into myself).

A little about me:

I live on Maui and work as and engineer at an observatory. I have a BS in physics. I also minored in Theatre Arts and I do costumes for community theater outside of work. For those of you unfamiliar with it, community theater = tiny budget. So I'm often forced to be really creative when costuming.

I was never really formally trained in sewing - though my grandmother tried. I worked in the costume shop for one quarter in college, which is where my passion for sewing started. After college I bought a sewing machine, but I was too intimidated to try sewing clothes and didn't want to ask for help, so I bought some books and taught myself to quilt.

Since then I've been taking up all kinds of random craft projects - both out of personal interest, and for costumes for the theater. I will try to share what I've done and the things that I've learned as I fumble through my spare time as a truly Crafty-Ass Chick.

2 comments:

  1. I just read through your blogposts and am glad I found this Sadie. Welcome to blogger!

    I broke the needle on my sewing machine in my first attempt to sew with it. I have a long way to go--maybe I will have to take class.

    I have a friend here who quilts (mid twenties) who had the same gripe--it is hard to find younger people with the same interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Em!

    Yeah, breaking needles is inevitable. I do it constantly. It's important to make sure that you have the right size needle for the fabric you're working with.

    Most of the time when I break needles it's because I'm hemming my sister's jeans - denim is very heavy and the side seams are very thick.

    It's exciting that you have a sewing machine. Have you made anything fun yet?

    ReplyDelete